Size matters when it comes to selecting the right food for your dog! Nutrition is not “one size fits all”—while a 4 pound Chihuahua and a 140 pound Great Dane have many loveable canine similarities—they do have important differences when it comes to nutrition.
Different nutritional needs
- Energy requirements. Small breed dogs have much higher energy requirements than those of larger breed dogs (sometimes more than twice as much). The ideal small breed food is more energy dense—having more calories per cup than a normal canine formula.
- Growth. The growth period is much shorter and the growth rate is much smaller for small breeds when compared to larger breeds. Selecting the right food insures that the optimal energy for growth is customized to the size of your dog.
- Digestive Systems. The movement of food through the digestive tract may be as fast as 12 hours or as long as several days depending on the size of the dog. The length of the intestine and absorption of nutrients can also vary according to breed size. A diet with high nutrient digestibility is critically important to make sure your small breed dog is getting the proper nutrients from his or her food.
Halo Spot’s Stew Toy & Small Breed Diet can help meet your small breed dog’s needs. As in all formulas, Halo provides excellent natural nutrition in the form of recognizable ingredients—fresh chicken, eggs, peas, whole grains, whole vegetables and antioxidant-rich fruits. There are never any artificial colors, flavors or preservatives and Halo never uses chicken meal or rendered meats. All Halo formulas provide minerals in a highly absorbable (chelated) form for the best digestion and use by your pet. Added prebiotics and probiotics help promote and support intestinal health. In addition:
- This formula has nutrient adjustments for small breeds including more calories per cup to meet higher energy requirements. This formula is ideal for dogs weighing 6 to 25 pounds.
- It is formulated for all life stages of toys and small breeds—puppy through adulthood.
- Smaller kibble size to better fit small mouths and teeth.
- This formula contains no visible dehydrated vegetables which may be too large for toy and small breeds. Parsley is an herb added to naturally help freshen breath.
- Packaged in 4 and 10 pound bags which are convenient for households with one or more toy or small breed dogs.
- This recipe is formulated with high quality balanced omega-3 and 6 fatty acids that help promote healthy skin and a shiny coat. It is also enriched with DHA GOLD, a natural sustainable vegetarian source of DHA omega-3. DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) has been proven beneficial to puppies during brain and eye (retina) development. DHA omega-3 is considered a functional fat because it participates in important structural and functional cellular processes.