Food You Didn’t Know Are Dangerous For Pets
As a pet owner, it is your responsibility to keep the pet safe and protect it from harmful food products. Having knowledge about pet food safety is very crucial for the well-being of the pet. Understanding that the body system of human differs entirely from that of an animal and some types of food safe for human consumption can be dangerous when ingested by animals.
Most common household foods that are suitable for human consumption can be toxic to pets. Many of these foods if offered to pets may seem tasty but can prove deadly if ingested. Apart from chocolate which is known to everyone that is not safe for the pet, there is some other food product that is also dangerous for pets.
Here is an outline of some household food that is dangerous if eaten by pet;
Caffeine contains a stimulant called theobromine. Ingestion of large amount can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Avocado leaves, pits, bark, and fruit contain a toxin called Persin. If ingested in large quantity, it can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea.
Grapes and raisins
Grapes and raisins are considered as one of the most toxic foodstuffs for pets. They cause sudden kidney damage and might even lead to death in some extreme cases. Signs of toxicity pets might display after eating include loss of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Garlic and Onions
Garlic and onions contain compounds called organo- sulfoxides which are converted to a complex thiosulphate when eaten by pets. It damages red blood cell of the animals.
Bacon is rich fat can leads to the disease pancreatitis in pets. Pancreatitis makes the pancreas cease function which leads to digestive problems and poor nutrient absorption.
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in food products such as sugar-free gum, diabetic cake, and toothpaste. It causes sudden insulin release in pets leading to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Symptoms include lethargy, vomiting, and loss of coordination.
A small volume of alcohol can lead to severe intoxication in the pet. Ethanol is not only found in foods and beverages, products such as paint, perfume, and some antifreeze also contain the compound. Signs of intoxication include vomiting and loss of coordination.
Macadamia nuts are popular and healthy snacks for humans. When eaten by pets, it causes body weakness, depression, vomiting and hyperthermia (increased body temperature).
Most cases of human food toxicity in pets are accidental. The best way to prevent ingestion of these is to keep all food items in areas that are inaccessible to pets. They should also not be given human food unless recommended by a veterinarian.